Tax Smart Giving
Gifts of Publicly Listed Stock and Securities
Donating a publicly-listed stock or security is a tax-smart way to make a substantial contribution to Fred Victor. As of May 2006, when publicly-listed stock and securities are donated to charitable organizations, they are exempt from any capital gains tax. The 2008 Federal Budget included an amendment to the tax law, adding exchangeable shares to the list of securities.
Listed securities can include:
• Shares listed on most Canadian and some foreign stock exchanges
• Prescribed debt obligations
• Shares of the capital stock of a Canadian public mutual fund corporation
• Units of widely held Canadian mutual fund trusts
• Interest in related segregated fund trusts
There are two tax benefits
• You will receive a tax receipt for the fair market value of the donation in the amount of the closing price on the day Fred Victor receives the security.
• Making a gift of stock or securities is particularly appropriate for donors who hold stocks or securities that have risen in value, and who want to maximize their charitable deduction without affecting their liquidity.
How to donate stock or securities to Fred Victor
1. Complete Fred Victor’s Gift of Securities Form and contact us at 416- 364-8228 ext. 341 to let us know you are planning on making a gift of this sort. Please note that this form is for Fred Victor records and does not initiate transfer of the stock or securities.
2. Instruct your broker to transfer your stock or securities to Fred Victor’s brokerage account using the information on the form. Please notify Fred Victor before making this transfer.
For more information please contact:
Director, Capital Fundraising and Communications
416-364-8228 ext. 341